Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Translate

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Daily Tip: Love thy neighbour as oneself? Most people act as though they hate themselves thus zero love of their neighbour.

I was listening to Philip Marlowe private eye, on Old-time radio in an episode called the Good Neighbour Policy.  The people in an apartment flat were quite unacquainted with each other although they shared the same utilities.
How do you love your neighbour as yourself if you act as though you hate yourself and wish you could runaway from all the stressful people in your life?
Do you treat them in the same vile, wicked-tempered way you think of or treat yourself?
Do they deserve that?  Do you?
Some people utterly despise themselves and that self-disgust often makes them haters of others too.  (If the definition of hate is "to love less.")  They literally love their neighbour about as much as they love themselves which amounts to about zero love.
Especially if they have ADD/ADHD, and yet they are ashamed to admit their self-loathing and their buried resentment of others, even to themselves.  They often make nice in public, but truthfully wish they could runaway from everyone and everything that makes them feel put-down, frustrated and irritated.
As for treating others with contempt, well, there is secret blame, and when thinking of all the injustices it is easy to feel sorry for oneself.  Remember what I always say, "Self-pity is a downward spiral and the first step to failure."  Keep away from Self-Pity!  Avoid it like the plague that it is!
(I learned SELF-PITY is a big factor in most suicides.  Many call suicide, "the cowards way out.") 
You and I can be brave and face our challenges, yet try as we might to understand our troubles, it can be hard to give others their due respect or to even respect ourselves because of all of our personal misgivings, (the fact we can't find a pair of clean underwear!) and the mirror of our faults by those around us.  Others make us feel small, and we beat ourselves up on top of it.  A double-spanking!
There is no use for self-pity.
It's time to forgive, love and take care of yourself.  You may need to do this before you can even begin to love thy neighbour!
You CAN change.  You CAN get help!  You can make YOU happy.
I have to admit, I find it hard to take care of myself, much less those whom I love.
Therefore, I am trying a little more self-honesty in regards to my weaknesses (i.e. personal organization, holding my tongue, etc.)
Also, I will try and accept help from others, I will stand up for myself, and for my spouse, and in the long run for love of my neighbour.
The Internet has huge amounts of accurate information on improving one's perceived weaknesses that accompany ADD/ADHD, and you need to tap those resources, but first look at yourself in all honesty and truth and ask yourself, WHAT IS HOLDING ME BACK?
When you overcome your short-comings a little at a time you will learn to love yourself more, and then you will be able to love those around you better as well too.  And who knows, maybe they will love you back in ways you never thought of, such as, inviting you to parties, and becoming your real friend.
Peace,
Amy Zents


Make sure to enjoy a sample of original music from my band Molly and Sonny Boy's newest CD release http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/mollysonnyboy2

No comments:

Post a Comment