Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Translate

Monday, June 7, 2010

Daily Tip: Keep your eyes wide open for the Jaysters in the road!

Today a young woman jaywalked in front of my truck as I was driving along the main state Highway 14 West with my two dogs, Cole and Pixie in the back of the truck..  This was a total "Jayster" who deserves a (PTC) Pedestrian Traffic Citation!  (I call them Jaysters, and not Jay birds.  Most Jay birds, of the avian variety, know better than to walk blindly in front of a truck.) Anyway this chick was  wearing "road" colors (bland, non-descript clothes) and she walked into my path. 
Also, it was rush hour and I was travelling in the direction of the late afternoon sun at 35 mph.  I barely saw this jaywalker up ahead and I was shocked to think I nearly ran her down, but I slowed down as fast as I could and my heart jumped, and the dogs and I lurched forward in surprise! 
You know what?  To be honest, I don't even think she was aware of my presence heading toward her in my 2 ton pick-up, nor did she notice me slow my truck down as we passed her clambering on to the median.   I wondered how she was so cool, and why she was so nuts?
She didn't seem to care about anyone but herself as she jaywalked in front of my pickup.
As I travelled the speed limit of 35 miles an hour, with the sun on my visor and everything, I didn't even notice her on the middle of the road, until I almost drove over her, and she didn't even glance up!
There is a median on Broadway St. (Highway 14W) and while I realized she was heading for it, I realized I was heading for her.  I would testify that I didn't even see her look both ways to make sure she could make it across. 
Was she tempting fate?  I don't know, but for myself, and my sketchy attention-span, that woman was very fortunate she did not get run-over by me.  I guess I am also fortunate I saw her, and slowed down.  Thank goodness the driver behind me kept a space cushion!
After my citation a couple of weeks ago, I have been very vigilant on the roads. 
I paid my fine today, and from here on out I NEED to maintain my driver's license and driving privileges by driving very carefully.   No more answering my cell phone without pulling over safely first.
I must do all I can to contine driving my vehicle.   I so desperately need wheels out in this area I live in that is, rural Minneosta.  I have been venturing to drive safely every moment I am on the road. 
What I DON'T NEED on my driving record is some butthead pedestrian making me guilty of involuntary womanslaughter!
Who do these jaysters think they are?  There is a cross walk at nearly every intersection.  Some even with lights.  I wish I could tell that idiot jaywalker these words:
"Go to the light stupid!  The red hand means STOPThe white-lighted man who looks like he is walking means you CAN walk.  The rest, means LOOK OUT!
Don't just walk in front of rush hour traffic anywhere you please if you value your life and the life of others.  Not everyone on the road is thinking about you!"
As for everyone else:
Please! please!  please! watch out on the roads for the jaysters and the idiots who walk in front of you in traffic.  Please don't jaywalk either.  No need to cause untold injury to yourself or others.
Plus, the animals won't be left wondering what's going on!
Peace,
Amy Zents


Make sure to enjoy a sample of original music from my band Molly and Sonny Boy's newest CD release http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/mollysonnyboy2

No comments:

Post a Comment