Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Translate

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Daily Tip: Be social and sweet, but don't compete


I found out that the word "compete," is based on the late Latin word competere to seek together, from Latin, to come together, agree, be suitable, from com- + petere to go to, or seek.  Nowadays, the word defines the state of rivalry.
I went out last night to hear a couple of local musicians at the Grand Kabaret, and there were some very nice-looking people there.  For someone who has ADHD and it's attendant feeling, low self-esteem, I could have acted threatened and defensive when mingling, but I put on my brave face, and tried to be pleasant and polite.  I found the response of others towards me illuminating and wonderful.  People were kinder to me when they sensed I was warm, friendly, and non-combative.
If you want to compete, remember that there are over 6.7 billion people in this world whom you must compete with, and that they probably want the same thing you desire, namely, success. 
Of course, success is defined by each of us differently, but underneath the label, the idea is the same.  We want what we want, and we love those who want us to get what we want, and we secretly resent and are hostile to those who would compete with us, or who try and deny us or take from us what we crave, or need.
That is why jealousy is one of the strongest motives for murder and mayhem!
How to combat the negative feelings we send out or receive?
Be social and sweet, but don't compete!
Peace,
Amy

Make sure to enjoy a sample of original music from my band Molly and Sonny Boy's newest CD release
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/mollysonnyboy2

No comments:

Post a Comment