Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Translate

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Daily Tip: Toning down the rebellious, childish and opinionated side of ADHD

I find it hard to keep my mouth shut.  More often than not, I find it hard to think before blurting out what it is I see and feel.  Last night I watched the Olympic Opening Ceremonies, and found myself texting on Twitter in a laughfest with others; always the naughty "schoolgirl."  Roger Ebert called a lot of the remarks about the Opening Ceremony on Twitter, "snarky."  I mean, I grew up in Canada and I felt that I could contribute my 2 cents worth of how I felt about the whole system there, the bi-lingualness, the socialized medicine, the funny-looking money and their "star-system," versus the celebrity-worship here in the USA.  One Tweeter tweeted that the malfunction with the torch cauldron reminded her of the Stone Henge scene in Spinal Tap.  I added, "Minus the little people."  There was a lot written about the look and tone of the ceremony, and of course the tragedy of the young Olympian who died during the luge training that morning.
Nevertheless, there is a time and a place for joking and let me assure you more often than not at "serious" ceremonies, religious gatherings, office meetings, school assemblies and other meaningful events where more than one person is there, there will be more likely, the ADHD'er, at least, I have found, all excited (stimulated) by the excitement, filled with delight and mischief. 
I think it is vital for the ADHD'er to avoid committing social suicide by studying etiquette and learning how to behave.  NOTE: This social politeness and propriety is not generally inborn, especially with the excitable and adrenaline-seeking ADHD'er.  So, education on etiquette is a must.  I will try to keep my lip zipped on sombre occasions as best I can, and continue to learn how to behave properly.
Still, tact is something that I need to work on, and will share with you all I can as I exercise it in real-life situations, which for me will be hard.. 
The word tact stands for:
T.  To
A. Avoid
C. Causing
T Trouble.
Above are the roses my husband had delivered to me this morning.
He loves me, in spite of myself.
Wishing you the same thing, that is, someone to love you, blurts and all.
Have a happy day, and show love and compassion to others as well as to yourself.
Peace,
Amy Zents

© Amalia Zents 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment