Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Translate

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Daily Tip: Don't start your engine late. Read my scary tale.

You see I am late.  Always, always late. What? You gotta be kidding!  Well, it takes me awhile to warm up to an idea, a problem, a gig, a place.
My boss gave me an ultimatum (well sorta, he teased me about tossing me in the dumpster,) in a kidding way.  Recently for my on-air shift he asked me politely to arrive 10 minutes early to work.  Happily, my attempts at doing so, have resulted on my arriving for my board-shift on time, with me being a lot more composed and prepared for the show.  Now the out-of-town, on-location gigs are a different story.    Read my scary tale:
This morning was a fast and furious one.  I had to move fast this morning.  When I'd finally arrived to meet a colleague to follow him to a broadcast, he was furious I was late!  He'd anxiously waited for me to arrive for our appointment.  It was pre-arranged that I should follow him in my car to another town for the broadcast, and he was positively fuming when I finally walked in the door.  He growled at me that we would have to drive fast.  So, I followed him out of town and he drove so fast, I lost him for awhile, but caught up to him even though I felt he was over-dramatizing my tardiness by driving dangerously at scary speeds to make it to the Cafe on time for the broadcast.  When we had both finally arrived to the broadcast location, and I had warmed up to the idea that it was time to get to work, then things settled down, and it was business as usual. 
The other day I had to meet a different salesman to drive to a broadcast except, in that instance, HE was late, and I felt a tad vindicated THAT morning.  But, NOT this morning! 
It was I who was the one who got dumped on for being late.
Most of all, it was stressful raising the ire of a respected colleague. 
It was also quite nerve-wracking to me to have to follow an angry driver out of town in rural country parts hastening at scary speeds on slippery roads.
The message of this story? 
Don't start your engine late.
Warm up to the idea of your appointment, task or chore, well in advance of crunch-time. 
This goes for me and anyone who has time management and organizational issues. 
A lot of A.D.D., and A.D.H.D-sufferers have problems shifting gears from one activity to another, but real life demands it. 
Just like sticking your hand in a pot of boiling water will make you cry "Ouch," lateness, and the REALITY of it, can bite you in the butt if you ignore getting to where you need to be, or doing what you need to do on time. 
If he says, "Meet me at 7:10am," and you say, "OK."  Then meeting him at 7:25am is late!
Don't be late.  Know what you need to do, and think about shifting gears, and activities before you wind up in a frenzy.
Remember: warm up your brain before you wind up late, or dead!
Peace,
Amy Zents
© Amalia Zents 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment